Saturday, April 12, 2014

First full day in Cusco!

Today was our first full day in Cusco and it went great! We started off with three hours of Spanish class in the morning (which was really to help us beginners function in the city) then we all spent an hour with the native language, Quechua. It was a real reality check, the last time I started from scratch on a new language was in 8th grade. It is SO HARD to find a foot hole but after you see some repetition it gets easier. It also puts into perspective how much better kids are at learning than I am. I am so impressed with them all, especially Olivia and the Haehnels, I think they are bred to learn languages.  
After the language lessons we all went for a little adventure for some local food. We ate safe food with the asterisk over Ceviche. Ceviche is raw fish, cured in lemon juice (and our local guide personally vouched for its safety) but we did give the option for kids to try it. I thought it tasted great! The lemon was a great flavor. After lunch we walked around a bit in the Plaza de Armas and the kids got lots of pictures and souvenirs. I can honestly say it is so much fun watching and traveling with the students. Little things I think are cool or interesting they just love and get so excited over. It rubs off and I find myself enjoying the experience that much more. The rest of the week promises to be amazing.
Adios!



No comments:

Post a Comment