Friday, April 11, 2014

My walkabout.

4 - 11 - 2014
I think this might be the first blog post of my life and here I am writing it in Cusco Peru, WILD!
Thanks to La Profesora, everything went super smooth and everyone is doing great. Not only did we have a great place to stay in Lima (they picked us up from the airport with two shuttle vans) but we had easy morning as everything was planned perfectly, grasias Mary.
It was a little wild watching the kids go off with total strangers but all the host families seemed very nice, lots of hugs and cheek kisses.
At three we met with all the kids at the Amigos school who is helping to coordinate everything. Jesus (the coordinator),wanted to just to an easy check in and explain how the next few days would go. I think every single student said they ate their fill with the host families and they all mentioned how great the food was. After meeting and checking in for around an hour, Mary took a taxi full of student back to their host families while I walked the rest home. The exercise was welcomed but at times it was daunting, the altitude makes you feel every step!
All the kids remember their own way home (I was very impressed) and it was up to me to blaze my own path back. Once I dropped Liam and Sam off I knew the general direction of my walk but that was about it.
Along the way I saw some awesome sites and some really cool scenes/people. I can't wait till the kids adjust to everything and we can spend a full day checking out the city. They are going to be blown away!
After about 2 hours of walking I finally stumbled back to our hotel where I figured I walked easily 4 times the actual distance I needed to. In my defense, the map I was using was a copy of a copy so I couldn't read street names.
I am looking forward to a deep sleep tonight. We start our language class tomorrow at 8am!
Until the next post, Adios!
~Senor Newsted

No comments:

Post a Comment